Tuesday, September 7, 2010

well behaved women rarely make history


if the brownies on my counter weren't a sign of the times, then my inability to fit into my favorite jeans was. after a long day of finally spending some quality time with my canon, there was nothing more on my mind than continued frustration. welcome ladies and gentlemen to a pity party for one. no really, it was a little pathetic. i stomped, threw my lens cap on, and sat my camera in the corner today. it, and i, needed a time out.

i consider myself a very intelligent individual. however, the switch from a manual to a digital SLR is throwing me for a loop. the realization that i can sit here forever and be frustrated, or i can ask for help, became very apparent today. as i mentioned in a previous post, i have my favorite photographers that i follow, either because their style rocks my socks or they are a wealth of information--or both. i'm not trying to sound cliche here, but the Lord really does work in mysterious ways, so it's no small coincidence that i happened to stumble upon an amazing photographer who also lives within a 2 hour drive. i've been totally engulfed by her site (the "her" I will share at a later date with "her" permission!). i don't know her from adam, except through her blog, but i felt compelled that i could learn something from her. enter stage left--my nerves of steel.

my fingers were literally shaking when i was typing. hi, my name is...here is my story...can i borrow your time? that was the gist. i was rambling--if you couldn't tell, it's a bad habit. i like to think i am concise, but i have too much to say. and then i did it. I HIT SEND. i had reached out to a total stranger and asked, maybe even begged, for help. maybe it was too forward, maybe unorthodox, but i had done it. i was honestly expecting a polite, but delicately formed "No", yet as my eyes danced across the screen hours later, her email was filled with a pleasantness that was comforting and welcoming. so, one foot in front of the other, here we go--meeting date in progress and the anticipation is already killing me. but, it gives me something to work toward and a reason to keep going.

i could have sat around and ate brownies all day. instead i realized the bigger picture and took control of my future. after all, what good is chasing a dream if you are too busy sitting on your hands.

Skinny Jeans: 1 | Brownies: 0



 

0 comments:

About This Blog